When I started this site months ago, I had a dream, albeit a humble one.
It wasn't to change the world, but rather to find a tasty corn elixir distilled in Kentucky named Pappy Van Winkle.
I had read an article about it, by a guy, a sportswriter, that was also a damned good bourbon storyteller.
I already loved bourbon but had never met Pappy, but I did and liked him. At 12, he was exceptionally good, but at 20, taste-bud blowing.
Now, of course, Pappy is not a person, but a distilled bottle of sour mash that is harder to find then mermaids or gold at the end of the rainbow.
Beginner's Luck --- Finding Pappy Van Winkle
But somehow, I did find it two years in a row.
First Pappy Van Winkle 12 year which was smooth and next the 20 year...which was...well let's just say I wish I had another bottle and leave it at that.
No More Pappy
But alas, there were no more bottles of Pappy in the land until the next go round. Fall? November?
So I've given up. Not on Pappy. But on finding Pappy Van Winkle in a bottle, at least at a liquor store in this great U.S. of A.
My New Dream
So here is my new dream and it's a bit more humble still.
I will pursue Pappy in the bars across the land or overseas. Wherever it may be found.
So if your favorite watering hole has it let me know. Or, if you like Wright Thompson -- the before-mentioned sportswriter/bourbon storyteller -- run across it in an airport, dive bar or high-class bourbon bar, please let me know and I'll add it to THE LIST.
So far I have sent a few tweets out and received a few locations.
Kentucky -- The Epicenter of the Bourbon Universe, BBall and My Fav Monk
Guess where? Of course, the land of Bourbon and Basketball. And my favorite monk.
Yes, I have a favorite monk. Thomas Merton who lived in a hermitage near Louisville and drank bourbon and beer and wrote some profound things until he got electrocuted by a fan in Bangkok.
But anyway, back to THE LIST. If you can't have a bottle, you should at least, have a shot, a pour, or even a double if you have a nice, crisp benjamin (Franklin) on you.
So far THE LIST is very short (but growing):
1. The Husk - Charleston, SC
2. Bluegrass Tavern - Lexington, KY
3. Parlay Social - Lexington, KY
4. The Village Idiot - Lexington, KY
5. Henry Clay's Pub - Lexington, KY
6. Haymarket Whiskey Bar -Louisville, KY
7. Azur Restaurant and Patio - Lexington, Ky
8. The Aviary - Chicago, IL
9. Pappas Bros. Steakhouse - Dallas, TX
10. Pour Cafe and Wine Bar - Mt. Kisco, NY
11. Otto's - Covington, KY
12. Percy Street BBQ - Philadelphia, PA
13. The Crunkleton - Chapel Hill, NC
14. Palate - Millford, MI
15. Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar -Covington, KY
16. WiseGuy Lounge - Covington KY
17. Congress Street Social Club - Savannah, GA
18. Seven Grand in Downtown LA - Los Angeles, CA
21. On The Rocks - New York, NY
22. Hardwater Bar on Pier 3 San Francisco - San Francisco, CA
23. Charr'd Bourbon Kitchen and Lounge - Louisville, KY
24. Noorman's Kil - Brooklyn, NY
25. The Rhino - Missoula, MT
26. Acacia - Pittsburgh, PA
27. Butcher & the Rye - Pittsburgh, PA
28. Red Fish Grill - New Orleans, LA
29. Stache - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
30. Luxbar - Chicago, IL
31. Jack Rose Dining Saloon - Washington, D.C.
32. Hotel at The Lafayette - Buffalo NY
33. The Silver Dollar - Louisville, KY
34. Gamlin Whiskey House - St. Louis, MO
35. McCormacks Whiskey Grill - Richmond, VA
36. Murphy's Irish Pub - Sonoma, CA
37. Social Southern Table & Bar - Lafayette, LA
38. The Hamilton Kitchen and Bar - Allentown, PA
39. Twisted Spoke - Chicago, IL
40. Tate's - Dallas, TX
41. Lilly’s Bistro - Louisville, KY
42. Rickhouse - Bardstown, KY
43. Springhouse - Alexander City, AL
42. Rye on Market - Louisville, KY
43. Bourbon’s Bistro - Louisville, KY
44. Proof on Main St. - Louisville, KY
45. Doc Crow’s - Louisville, KY
46. Seviche a Latin Restaurant - Louisville, KY
47. Z’s Oyster Bar & Steakhouse - Louisville, KY
48. The Old Seelbach Bar - Louisville, KY
49. The Old Bourbon County Kitchen (OBC Kitchen) - Lexington, KY
50. Longman and Eagle - Chicago, IL.
51. Eddie V’s - Tampa, FL
52. Half Barrel - Knoxville TN
53. Spark’s Steak House - Manhattan, NY
54. Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant - Newport, RI
55. Bourbon - Columbia, SC
56. Barrelhouse Flat - Chicago, IL
57. Foxes Cigar Lounge - Gilbert, AZ
58. Brick Alley Pub & Restaurant - Newport, RI
63. Black Fly - St Augustine, FL
"10 and the 12 year bottles"
64. Morimoto - Napa, CA
65. Parker Garage - Parker, CO
"They have the 12, 20 and 23"
"Pappy 15-$29 glass"
"Has all 6 Van Winkle marks. His place rocks! One of the best whiskey spots anywhere!"
"They have every PVW year plus many other very rare bourbons at the cheapest prices I’ve ever found. Awesome place."
"Has a little 23 left for $110/pour, and I believe a younger also, but don’t recall price."
"$95 a shot for the 23."
Stay updated on the Pappy List.
*Thanks to all those who sent locations. Keep them coming.
"12 year, $32 for 2oz and 15 year, $48 for 2oz."
10yr $12, 12yr $15, 15yr $25, 20yr $35, 23yr $55
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (E Concourse)
"They have the 12, 15 & 23 year. Great food and atmosphere too."
"I physically held the bottle. Asked how much for a shot? $150 for the 23-year."
"They have Old Rip, 15 and I think 20 (if not 1 more). They even serve a Pappy 15 Old Fashion on the menu, but I’d rather have it without bitters, sugar and orange"
10,12,15,20, & 23
Powered by WP Email Capture